
Saturday we met at noon, had a final run-through of "Bless the Broken Road" - a country song that he turned into a decidedly jazz arrangement, set up the equipment, and started recording around 1:00. All together we had 16 tunes, which we were able to get done in 5 hours. Waters of March (in both languages) took a few tries, but there were several other tunes that we didn't rehearse before recording, and took one take. That makes me happy, because then you know that they are truly in the moment and for that reason, jazz in its purest form. I did "Here's to Life" again, which I also did with him on my first c.d. in 2001, and despite that fact that we have done that song together dozens of times, we did it completely differently than we had ever done it before. It was REALLY really REALLy really REALLY fun. Of course the music isn't perfect, but it isn't really supposed to be. What it is supposed to be is honest and authentic, so I am pleased.
I just realized that I haven't said anything about what's on the new c.d. The title is "The Sweetest Season", and most of the songs are inspired by marriage & motherhood. There is also a tune inspired by all of my jazz teachers, and a few inspired by my siblings.
I am going to have a c.d. release party in a couple of weeks, and I am leaning toward also releasing a "best of" c.d. at the same time just because I have PLENTY of material for one, and some people who aren't totally into jazz might enjoy having some classical/opera interspersed.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you got to do this. Motherhood rocks, there's no question about it, but . . . well, I really wish I could go teach a college French class every once in a while. ;-)
I am glad you found my blog! Congrats on the CD! I would love to hear it!
Post a Comment